From   "Thomas Erdmann" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Labeling variables
Date   Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:50:51 +0100

Is there a command that tells Stata to set the label of each variable to the
variable name?

Or, alternatively, loading my file with -insheet- , can I tell Stata that
one row (using long data) contains the information for the variable labels?

Details: I have data in the long form, the column headers are detailed
descriptions of the items. Basically I would like to use those names as
labels and then rename the variables to shorter names directly in Stata, to
avoid errors in this process:

Pretty easy problem I guess, but only found more complicated alternatives
and no straightforward solution, thanks for your feedback.

- Tom