Re: st: stgtcalc and stset in version 5

From   Enzo Coviello <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: stgtcalc and stset in version 5
Date   Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:33:36 +0100

At 16.05 03/11/2006, you wrote:
Dear all,
I have a problem using stgtcalc:
In order to test Proportional Hazards assumption in a Cox model, I would
like to follow Patrick Royston and Peter Sasieni's suggestion
(http://www.stata.com/meeting/4uk/nonprop.html) and fit fractional
polynomials to the local estimates of the regression coefficients of the Cox
model by using fracpoly after stgtcalc.
I am using Stata9 and when I try to use stgtcalc as follows:
***
stset time trtt
stcox sex  agecateg2 agecateg3
stgtcalc

To use -stgtcalc you should use the old syntax of -stset but it should not be necessary if you have Stata 6 or a more recent version.
Actually -stgtcalc computes scaled schoenfeld residuals and then -stgtplot creates a graph by running. So you can obtain the same results saving scaled Schoenfeld by using -scaled(newvars) in -stcox and then smoothing them with fracpoly or lowess (no confidence intervals) or running and plotting versus analysis time.

Best wishes.

Enzo

***

I get the following error message after typing stgtcalc:
***
Data are st/Stata 6 and not st/Stata 5.
You are running the old Stata 5 version of st.
We provide it so that researchers may reproduce old analyses.
If you do not mean to be running the old system, type

       . version 6

if you do mean to be running the old system, type

       . version 5
       stset ...                       fill in the dots with old syntax)

When you are done, type

       . version 6
r(119);
***

I have tried
***
version 5:stset time trtt
version 5:stcox sex  agecateg2 agecateg3
version 5:stgtcalc
***

But I get exactly the same error message.
I don't know how to stset in stata5 but in his example, P. Royston and P
Sasieni use the same stset I have used. Is it the data I must change?
Otherwise, is there an adaptation of stgtcalc to stata9?
Thank you so much for your help
Val�rie

        Val�rie Jooste
        Registre des tumeurs digestives
        INSERM EMI 0106
        Recherche �pid�miologique et clinique en canc�rologie digestive
        Facult� de M�decine
        BP 87900
        21079 Dijon cedex
        FRANCE
        Tel : +33- 380 39 33 25
        Fax : +33- 380 66 82 51

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Enzo Coviello
Dipartimento Prevenzione ASL BAT/1
Ufficio Igiene Pubblica
via Barbera 27 - 70055 MINERVINO MURGE (BA)
Italy
tel. fax +39 0883 691053
tel (home) +39 0883 695055
mobile 347 5016016