Re: st: Program within a Program

To   "Kyle C Longest" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Program within a Program
Date   Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:17:20 -0500

You can pass options to your second program the same way you would to
your main program:

prog testsub
syntax varlist(numeric)  [, mod2(varlist)]
sub `varlist', mod2(`mod2')
di "sub reports varlist (`mod2') forms " r(N) " groups"
end

prog sub, rclass
syntax varlist(numeric)  [, mod2(varlist)]
tempvar g
qui egen `g'=group(`mod2')
qui tab `g'
ret scalar N= `=r(r)'
end

sysuse auto
testsub mpg, mod2(rep78)
tab rep78
testsub mpg, mod2(for rep78)
tab for rep78

Remember locals can only be seen within the program or do-file where
they are defined, and Statalist members can only comment on examples
using data that is easily available to all copies of Stata.