Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: outsheet or outfile display

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: outsheet or outfile display
Date   Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:14:18 -0400

Not sure how Excel could read a file with dashed lines; if you
don't want the lines, just -sort- on the variable before using
-outsheet-. If you do want the lines, I think you'll have to
use the -file- command.

Michael McCulloch wrote:
-list- has a nifty option, -sepby()-, that allows me to list data separated with lines between a variable, in this case a date:

.list ini dxage sex race datetx, noobs sepby(datetx)
VJ 68 male asian November, 1993
HM 59 male white December, 1993
IT 47 male white December, 1993
MO 76 male white December, 1993
WC 74 male white December, 1993
AW 61 male white January, 1994

From reading the help files, I don't see that there is a way to do this using outsheet or outfile. Is it possible to output such a table to a file that can be read by Microsoft Excel or Word?

Best wishes,
Michael McCulloch

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine Street, San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
tel 415.407.1357
fax 415.485.1065
* For searches and help try: