Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: error message about Mata memory

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: error message about Mata memory
Date   Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:49:40 +0100

Kit deleted the posting by Shihe Fan to which
my posting was the reply. Shihe's posting was clearly
about Stata. Despite the name of the thread, Shihe
made a comment picking up something Bobby Gutierrez
said (about -xtmixed-, a Stata command).

The story with Mata is indeed different and something
like tracing I presume to be a matter Mata masters
and mistresses will have on their amenda. In fact, it is
surely a priority for MataCorp.

Kit Baum
> Nick said
> If I understand this correctly, you need to find out
> about -set trace-.
> . set trace on
> sets tracing of commands so that you can see where
> in the code a command failed. Tracing can be tuned
> in various ways.
> I don't know anything about SAS, but if your ideal
> is equivalent to
> error 198;
> at line ... of -foobar-
> -foobar- was called from line ... of -whizzbang-
> -whizzbang- was called from line ... of -bushranger-
> well, that's another style, and ultimately equivalent
> to Stata's style.

Kit Baum