st: RE: error message about Mata memory

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: error message about Mata memory
Date   Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:34:38 +0100

There is no argument here, despite any appearance
to the contrary.

Note that the situation is complicated by two
extra factors, as far as I can see:

1. Some of StataCorp's Mata code is proprietary
and/or pre-compiled and thus hidden, so in that case
a full trace would benefit even the advanced user
little or nothing, except the exquisite pleasure of
being able to say "This appears to be StataCorp's bug,
not mine". Otherwise put, if StataCorp
introduces fuller tracing for Mata, I doubt that
will let you see inside proprietary code.

2. In any case new or inexperienced users who call
for full tracebacks -- or whatever it is that SAS does --
will gain nothing by this unless they also learn some
Stata or Mata programming. Others may be able to help diagnose
their problem a little easier, but my guess is: less
than they would expect.

Kit Baum