RE: st: Including variable labels in graph titles

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Including variable labels in graph titles
Date   Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:17:47 +0100

You can do this in one step and cut out the middle macro.

foreach v of var <varlist> {
	twoway (scatter `v' xvar, sort), title(Scatter plot for `: variable label `v'')
}

However, in general various problems are foreseeable.

1. No variable label exists.

2. The variable label includes a comma that will be misinterpreted without
binding the title text in double quotes.

3. The variable label includes double quotes that will be misinterpreted without
binding the title text in compound double quotes.

4. The title text will seem long and repetitive.

4. is easy to fix. The others are fixed by this

foreach v of var <varlist> {
	local vtext : variable label `v'
	if `"`vtext'"' == "" local vtext "`v'"
	twoway (scatter `v' xvar, sort), title(`"Scatter plot for `vtext'"')
}

See also help for -macro-.

Jeph Herrin

> . local mylabel : variable label myvar
>
> will capture the variable label from -myvar- and put
> it into macro -mylabel-; you can then embed -mylabel-
> in the title string.

Dick Campbell