Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: tests of coefficients after estimation commands

From   "Christopher W. Ryan" <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: tests of coefficients after estimation commands
Date   Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:43:59 -0400

I'd like to see if I have this straight, since this is one of my first
times using postestimation tests of coefficients in any serious way.

Using Stata 8

The relevant variables are:
sex  coded 0=female 1=male
colon coded 0=no 1=yes   (any colonic symptoms)
colonmale = colon*sex  (an interactive term)
sdq_hyp is the dependent variable

after -svyregress- that uses these (among others) as independent
variables, I figure that

-lincom colon- gives the effect of being a girl with colon symptoms

-lincom colon sex colonmale- gives the effect of being a boy with colon

Do I have that correct?

I get stumped with -adjust-
can I type -adjust age=6, by(colon sex)- to get the effects of the 4
different combinations of sex and colon, in 6 year old kids?  Or do I
need to put the colonmale term in there somewhere?

I have a similar question regarding these commands after svyologit.

Christopher W. Ryan, MD
and Wilson Family Practice Residency, Johnson City, NY
GnuPG and PGP public keys available at

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea."  [Antoine de St. Exupery]