st: survival analysis: given median survival time � 95% CI, how does one calculate SE, t, or exact p?

From   "Erick Turner" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: survival analysis: given median survival time � 95% CI, how does one calculate SE, t, or exact p?
Date   Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:04:26 -0700

Dear Stata users,

I am working with a report of data analyzed using survival analysis.
Specifically, the survival probabilities were calculated using the Kaplan-Meier method, and the estimated survival distributions were compared between groups using the log-rank test.

For each group, they report the N, median survival time, and the 95% CI around the median. (The CIs were not calculated using a simple 1.96 x SE, because the upper and lower CI widths are different from one another.)

They also report exact P values, but only for where they get a value under .05.
Where the comparison between groups is nonsignificant, they just report "NS".

My goal is to find the exact P value (which I can get to if I can first get SE or t).

Would someone know how I can achieve this using Stata or some not-too- difficult formula?

Thank you.

Erick

*
* For searches and help try: