Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Stata vs SPSS

From   Ronán Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: Stata vs SPSS
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:11:19 +0100

On 16 DFómh 2006, at 19:17, Richard Williams wrote:

At 11:45 AM 10/16/2006, Georgeta Vidican wrote:
hi there,
try statistics/nonparametric/binomial
i hope it works.
I don't think that gives you the confidence interval though - at least it didn't as of SPSS 12. My comparisons of how SPSS and Stata handle this sort of problem can be found in
What I meant was a simple descriptive statistic

. ci loneliness, bin wil

------ Wilson ------
Variable | Obs Mean Std. Err. [95% Conf. Interval]
------------- +---------------------------------------------------------------
loneliness | 1337 .3522812 .0130639 . 3271329 .378276

Stata gives the proportion of people who are lonely and the confidence interval. I could not get SPSS to give me the confidence interval and, a couple of years ago, I wrote to tech support to ask how you did it.

They told me that SPSS didn't calculate the confidence interval for a proportion but showed me how it was easy to obtain this, giving me the textbook formula for the standard error of a proportion.

I found this incredible, since any fule kno that using the standard error formula will produce confidence intervals that are too wide and may well exceed the range 0-1.

Stata, on the other hand, embraced Wilson and Jeffreys confidence intervals almost instantly the methods were shown to be the best available - they were slightly beaten to it by Nick Cox. And Stata has had a confidence interval command for a proportion since I started using it (Stata 3).

If it's for social scientists, why does SPSS not have confidence intervals for percentages? These aren't exactly alpha geek stuff...

Ronán Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
+353 (0) 1 402 2431
+353 (0) 87 799 97 95