Re: st: Stata vs SPSS

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata vs SPSS
Date   Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:55:19 -0700 (PDT)

I agree that this is often a question of non-GUI vs. GUI, at least in the
minds of students.  I taught a course a year ago in which undergraduates
were expected to conduct statistical analysis.  I decided to use Stata and
teach via commands, mainly I decided this because when I talk with
students who learned via a GUI interface it seems they have a very rigid,
static understanding of data that is something out there they are given,
rather than a fluid, dynamic via of data as something they construct and
mold so as to address their queston.  I am not saying anyone else has this
experience, I am just saying it has been my experience.  So, I decided to
teach sans GUI.

The social science course required students to construct a question,
locate data (usually via the ICPSR depository), and get the data in shape
to analyze.  Then, over several weeks, I introduced them to a series of
univariate and multivariate techniques, including OLS regression, logits
and probits.  The emphasis was on intuitive understanding, not rigorous
proofs.

In teaching the course I would routinely display the code on a
large-screen projector system; other times I would write code on the
whiteboard.  I would also ask them to include the code in their problem
sets.

At the start of the term they were surprised to learn that we could do
anything without a GUI.  By the end of the term they were excited about
the easy flexibility of just writing code.

I believe the learning curve is steeper for writing commands.  But the
view from the summit is far grander.  My students seemed to agree.

Sam