Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Exporting Stata output to MS Excel

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: Exporting Stata output to MS Excel
Date   Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:06:02 -0400

Roger said, in re the latest version of xml_tab,

Doesn't work for me either in Excel 2000. Checking MS website, it appears xml
support was introduced in Excel 2002 < 288215/>

Zurab, i think you should add this to the "Requires" bit of the Description
on SSC and perhaps also the help file.

I have changed the package description on SSC. I have just installed MS Excel 2004 for Mac OS X (previously I had an older Excel) and the sequence of commands Dominic provides generate an XML file that MS Excel 2004 cannot read; it generates a "Strict Parse Error". Excel then offers to open the file as text. MS Excel 2004 knows how to deal with XML files, but claims that this one "is not a valid Excel XML spreadsheet".

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics

* For searches and help try: