Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Inverse mills ratio and ordered logit

From   Roberto Fontana <>
Subject   st: Inverse mills ratio and ordered logit
Date   Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:34:51 +0200

Dear Statalisters

I am running a two step estimation to check for selection bias. In the first
stage I have a logit. In the second stage I use an ordered logit with some
explanatory variables plus the inverted mills ratio calculated from the first

I am wondering whether this is a correct way to proceed (i.e. whether I get
the corrected standard errors in the second stage). Would there be additional
problems if, instead of the ordered logit, I had a multinomial logit in the
second stage?

In general, can anyone suggest any published article which tried a similar
procedure without OLS in the second stage.

Thank you very much for yor help.

Roberto Fontana (PhD)
CESPRI - Bocconi University
Via Sarfatti 25