Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: Re: st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters

From   n j cox <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters
Date   Tue, 03 Oct 2006 19:11:33 +0100

Thanks for the very helpful extra clarification.
You are correct: the problems do differ slightly.

Jeph Herrin

The FAQ almost answers the question, but not quite: to get
one random individual per household (as opposed to a random
sample of households), try:

set seed 12345678
gen random=uniform()
bys household (random): gen byte mysample=_n==1

Then -mysample- will be one randomly selected individual
per household.

n j cox

> The Statalist FAQ advises, inter alia, consideration of
> the existing FAQs. In this case,
> How can I sample clusters, not individuals?

Mariano Sana

> I have a data set where each record is an individual in a household. I have
> all members of each household. How do I make a dataset that has only one
> randomly selected member from each household?

* For searches and help try: