Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: randomly selecting subjects from clusters
Date   Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:00:04 -0400

The FAQ almost answers the question, but not quite: to get
one random individual per household (as opposed to a random
sample of households), try:

 set seed 12345678
 gen random=uniform()
 bys household (random): gen byte mysample=_n==1

Then -mysample- will be one randomly selected individual
per household.

n j cox wrote:
The Statalist FAQ advises, inter alia, consideration of
the existing FAQs. In this case,

How can I sample clusters, not individuals?

Mariano Sana

I have a data set where each record is an individual in a household. I have
all members of each household. How do I make a dataset that has only one
randomly selected member from each household?