From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: xtpcse and fixed effects
Date   Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:09:14 -0400

It seems that your data is Time Series dominated.
I suggest you to try -ivreg2- with fixed-effects and
"Newey-West" std error corrections.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerhard Kempkes" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 5:32 PM
Subject: st: xtpcse and fixed effects

Dear statalister,

I have a question concerning an issue that has been raised before but has
not been answered in statalist (at least I havent found an answer in the
archive): xtpcse and fixed effects.

I have a dataset of max. 10 states and about T=15 years. I want to conduct a
FE estimation and have detected serial correlation in the disturbances. I am
aware of xtregar, fe, but for three reasons I am interested in a
prais-winsten, fe

(1) xtregar, fe causes the loss of one time period and Prais-Winsten does
(2) xtregar does not allow to account for heteroscedasticity but xtpcse
(3) I would like to compare results from both estimation techniques.

Stata offers a panel version of prais in xtpcse, but does not offer a FE
My question is whether the correct way of estimating a FE prais-winsten
estimation is to run xtpcse on the data including dummy variables (or,
alternatively to run xtpcse on deviations from means or orthogonal
deviations). After having read XT pcse I do not see any reason against such
a procedure but I am not sure because XT pcse is rather silent on
implementing FE.

Thank you very much!

+49 351 451 9603 (privat)
+49 176 6002 6783 (mobil)
+49 351 463 39722 (TUD)Der GMX SmartSurfer hilft bis zu 70% Ihrer
Onlinekosten zu sparen!
Ideal für Modem und ISDN: