RE: st: RE: Missing Wald test with -cluster- or -robust- option [further explanations?]

Subject   RE: st: RE: Missing Wald test with -cluster- or -robust- option [further explanations?]
Date   Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:50:02 +0100

Mirko,

No.  Or, more precisely, not necessarily.

The fact that the vcv isn't full rank is a warning that something might
be wrong, but it isn't guaranteed that you have a problem.  To use the
example you originally cited, #parameters>#clusters only means that you
can't test the hypothesis that all the parameters are jointly zero (your
Wald test).  But you can still test individual parameters.

An example that cuts the other way: if the problem were a singleton
dummy, you could test all the other parameters in the model, but you
couldn't get a sensible test out of your coefficient on this dummy,
because, after all, you basically have only one observation on it.

You need to look at the variable that is causing the vcv to be less than
full rank, work out why, and then decide what to do.

--Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes