Re: st: Health Survey for England

Subject   Re: st: Health Survey for England
Date   Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:28:07 -0400

Christopher--
Yes,  doomed to failure.  Ha ha! just kidding.  Sort of.  Without a
geographic identifier, you cannot apply the right correction for
clustering and allow for arbitrary intra-cluster correlation of
errors, but you can guess at the intra-cluster correlation of errors
and apply a design effect "inflator" from Kish (1965), given by
deff=[1+roh(b-1)]
where b is the number of individuals per cluster (the assumption of
equal cluster size seems not so important as long as there are no
outliers) and roh is the coefficient of intraclass correlation (ICC).
Then you multiply your SE by the square root of the deff. This will
get you close to the right answer, and is better than nothing (when I
say nothing I mean clustering at the household level, which is not
nothing, of course).

See page 162 and surrounding of
Kish, Leslie (1965). Survey Sampling

In practice, you might ask ESDS about the number of individuals per
postal code, and then guess the roh (ICC).  Maybe those numbers are
100 and .02, in which case the deff is about 4, and you have to double
your standard errors.  Or maybe those numbers are 10 and .01, in which
case you can probably ignore clustering at the postal code level
(multiply SE by 1.044).