Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: A problem with append

From   Silvia Mendolia <>
Subject   st: A problem with append
Date   Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:32:51 +1000

I am working with two different files, containing labour force status.
In the first one the status is coded as follows:
Looking after family: 5
FT Education: 6
Long term sick: 7
Maternity leave: 8

In the second one it is:

Maternity leave:5
Looking after family: 6
FT education: 7
Long Term sick: 8

So, if I try to append the first one under the second one, people looking after
family are recorded as maternity leave, people in FT education are recorded as
looking after family and so on...

How can I change the code of the labour force status in one of the two files?

Thank you very much,