Re: st: RE: Save results as a data file

From   Ronnie Babigumira <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Save results as a data file
Date   Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:08:42 +0200

Roger,

I initially proposed a -collapse- for this but then I saw Svend's suggestion of -contract- which was a neat oneliner. However, like collapse, it would destroy the data in the memory so I suggested that a preserve before contracting or collapsing .. (Shihe has privately asked about keeping the data in memory)

-xcontract- on the other hand offers the option of saving the result in a dataset leaving the data in memory intact and that is just perfect. I think Shihe will like it

Thanks

Ronnie

Newson, Roger B wrote:

I think what you are looking for might be the -xcontract- utility,
downloadable from SSC using the -ssc- command. If you install this and
type

xcontract X, saving(myresults.dta, replace)
then you will create a dataset in myresults.dta with 1 observation per
value of X and variables X, _freq and _percent, containing the X-value,
frequency and percent, respectively.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Newson