Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: poisson - bootstrapping or clustering?

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: poisson - bootstrapping or clustering?
Date   Tue, 12 Sep 2006 12:36:06 -0500

At 09:05 AM 9/12/2006, Stas Kolenikov wrote:
Trying out different seeds is kinda cheating -- it is like you run a
hundred regressions and pick the one you liked best :)). The actual
problems might be twofold:
It would be cheating if he kept on changing the seed until the coefficients came out the way he wanted! I am not sure it is cheating if you tweak things just to get the models to converge.

Another possibility might be to change the maximization options, e.g. add the -difficult- option. This sometimes helps when models aren't converging.

I am curious why the problem occurs in the first place. I checked the Statalist archives, and saw that other people had reported similar problems, but Stas is the first person I've seen who offered some sort of diagnosis. I wonder if the error message is deceptive in this case; it doesn't make much sense to say there are no cases, although that might be a consequence of some other error.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu