Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: poisson - bootstrapping or clustering?

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: poisson - bootstrapping or clustering?
Date   Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:29:56 -0500

At 07:12 AM 9/12/2006, Scott Cunningham wrote:
I'm estimating a model of sexual partners using -xtpoisson- and - poisson-. The data suffers from overdispersion, and so I'm trying to
correct for that using bootstrapping within -xtpoisson-. But as I
posted the other day, I'm having trouble recovering the marginal
effects in post-estimation. I have a memory of someone telling me
that the cluster() option within -poisson- can correct for
overdispersion. Does anyone with experience in count data have
recommendations? This is micro-level data from the National
Longitudinal Survey of Youth (1997). The problem with -mfx, dydx-
appears to be that bootstrapping within -xtpoisson- had numerous
failures in calculating the standard errors. That's at least what I
think is going wrong.
Could you try setting different seeds and see if you can get one that does not produce any failures?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu