RE: st: reorganizing data

From   "Anna Lehman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: reorganizing data
Date   Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:42:00 -0500

Thanks Nick. I believe the problem had to to with the variable types.
Everything seems ok now.
Thanks to Ronnie and Nick for all your help.
Anna

From: "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: reorganizing data
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:42:20 +0100

I tested my code on your example data.

See Ronnie Babigumira's posting for corroboration.

As is evident from the code, I took both variables
to be string. If your variables were not
string, the code needs to be modified, although
I don't think that would explain the problem you
reported.

I cannot see that the format of the variables
has any possible bearing on the point. It may
be that you use the word "format" in a non-Stata
sense, but if so I do not know what sense you intend
and you will have to explain it to me. Perhaps you
mean variable type, but that point is already made.

The first step for you is to copy what Ronnie
has made very clear and to check that you
can reproduce it.

If that works, you need to modify it for your
real data. If you can't get that to work, you should
report in detail the exact code you used and what
happened.

Anna Lehman

> Sorry I wasn't clear. I dont' believe that is the problem
> since in my code I
> typed "persons" everywhere.
> Do you think it may have to do with the format of the variables?

Nick Cox

> >My code said "Persons"; you typed "persons".
> >If you type "Persons" in one place and "persons"
> >in another, then you break the code.

Anna Lehman

> > > Thanks for your message.
> > > I tried running the code you sent me and I get the following
> > > error message:
> > > ". qui foreach P of local persons {
> > > option local incorrectly specified"
> > >
> > > What am I doing wrong?