RE: st: reorganizing data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: reorganizing data
Date   Wed, 6 Sep 2006 17:33:05 +0100

It can be done.

Here is one solution. It is easiest if you know
in advance roughly the maximum number of "others"
any person might have.

Warning: untested code ahead.

Guess this number, and then add some. Suppose
you guess 20, and then add 10. You get 30

forval i = 1/30 {
	gen Other`i' = ""
}

levelsof Person, local(Persons)
qui foreach P of local Persons {
	levelsof City if Person == "`P'", local(Cities)
	local which
	foreach C of local Cities {
		levels Person if Person != "`P'" & City == "`C'", ///
  				 local(work) clean
		local which : list which | work
	}
	noi di "`P': `which'"
	local nothers : word count `which'
	tokenize `which'
	forval i = 1/`nothers' {
		replace Other`i' = "``i''" if Person == "`P'"
	}
}

Then clean up any empty variables:

	forval j = 30(-1)1 {
		assert Other`i' == ""
		drop Other`i'
	}

This loop is designed to fail at the first
Other? variable that is not all empty. It
will drop in turn Other30, Other29, ... if
and only if it is all empty.

Alternatively, -dropmiss- from STB-60 can be used.

30 is just pulled out of the air. Your number will differ.

Anna Lehman