RE: st: list mechanics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: list mechanics
Date   Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:33:47 +0100

We are going round in circles here. As Marcello indicated
in his usual gentle way yesterday,

1. Known problems (like the one indicated just below)
are documented in the Statalist FAQ. Whenever we identify
a problem, we document it, for your benefit and ours (we
being Marcello and myself, who get lots of personal emails
from people who, almost always, just have not read the
FAQ and are sending HTML/MIME, posting from addresses they
didn't register from, etc.).

2. Neverthless there are mysteries that can't put be down to these
known problems. For example, one of my recent posts only
got through at the third time of posting and the only
reason I can think of for its being eaten twice was that
I had a flippant (but not saucy) example that might have been eaten by
a spam-beater, but I won't repeat it here just in case it
happens again. If you say, "Why did my mail disappear?", without
very much further information, then often no one can have any
idea.

Unless someone has something concrete _and_ new deserving mention in the FAQ,
can this thread fade away please?

Jeph Herrin