RE: st: list mechanics

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   "Jason Thompson" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: list mechanics
Date   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:05:40 +0000

jason,

i had the same problem too towards the end of last year or beginning 2006. i am not sure though whether the reason why it happened to me would be the same as yours.

essentially when i switched from the 'old' hotmail to 'window live mail' hotmail, the post set-up was changed from so called 'fixed width' to either 'rich text' and or 'html'. somehow this did not agree with the list mechanic.  when i switched back to 'old' hotmail set up,which uses 'fixed width' everything's cool again.

computer, internet, softwares being what they are i am almost sure your problem would be a different gremlins from mine.

regards,
bw

> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:24:04 -0500
> To: [email protected]
> From: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: st: list mechanics
>
> Has anyone had the experience that sent messages
> never show up on the list? I seem to be receiving
> but my own message from yesterday seems to have
> disappeared into the ether. I'm using
> <[email protected]>, which appears
> to be the same addy I see on this reply message.
> Curious to see if this one finds its way...
>
> At 07:40 AM 8/24/2006, you wrote:
> >Sometimes people are dropped from the list as a self-defense action by the
> >systems administrator--too many messages come back undeliverable.
> >This happens quite often.  In the old days we used to check out the
> >reasons, but it happens  too often to ask him to spend time finding out
> >that a mailbox is full!  The generic reasons can range from a campus
> >computer being down, to something wrong on the physical net.  When we see
> >that messages come back only from a particular country or company, then we
> >figure the fault is not ours. Usually these are transient faults that get
> >fixed.  When that happens then the dropped subscriber can resubscribe.
> >Sorry if this is not optimal for some, but it is the best we can do within
> >our budget (of zero!).
> >
> >m.p.
> >
> >Jeph Herrin wrote:
> >
> >>I find I have to resubscribe to statalist every few weeks;
> >>without any error or warning, the postings simply stop arriving.
> >>Is this a common experience? It doesn't seem to correspond to any
> >>snafus with the email account.
> >>
> >>Jeph
> >>
> >>*
> >>*   For searches and help try:
> >>*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> >>*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >>*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> >
> >*
> >*   For searches and help try:
> >*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html
> >*   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
> >*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

Express yourself with gadgets on Windows Live Spaces
http://discoverspaces.live.com?source=hmtag1&loc=us