st: RE: inverse mill's ratio

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: inverse mill's ratio
Date   Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:08:57 +0100

A pedant writes:

The ratio in question is named after J.P. Mills.

Thus Mills ratio, Mills' ratio and Mills's ratio
are all acceptable as correct renderings. Any use
of the apostrophe is dangerous as it tends to be
copied in the wrong place. So I prefer "Mills"
and this seems to be the commonest correct
rendering in the literature.

But Mill's and mill's are both incorrect renderings.

P.S. While I am at it, the correct spelling is
"Stata". This is explained explicitly at the end
of the Statalist FAQ and inadvertently that catches
out people who evidently have not read the FAQ carefully
enough!

Nishant Dass