Re: st: exceeded memory limit

From   [email protected] (Richard Gates)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: exceeded memory limit
Date   Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:01:11 -0500

B. Water <[email protected]> is trying to get Fishers exact
test to run on a 2x10 table with N = 1575.

> no. of obs 1575 2 var's: var1 had 2 categories and var2 had 10 categories.
>
> i tried:
>
> .tabulate var1 var2, exact
>
> and get this:
>
> "i've omitted the tabulation output"
>
> exceeded memory limits using exact(1); try again with larger #; see help tabulate for details
> r(911);

Clearly this is too large of a problem for -tabulate, exact- to handle.  With
such a large N, I am sure the chi-squared p-values are valid.  If you go
beyond exact(5), you've gone too far.

We made an update to -tabulate, exact- in version 9 (Jan. 20 2006) where we
gained some efficiency in the computation.  We also added an enumeration log so
the user can see how big the problem is and whether a solution is feasible.
Judging by the size of N for your problem it still may not complete, but if you
want to send me your table I can see how it does.

-Rich