From   "Silke Humbert" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: contrast with probit
Date   Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:18:01 +0200

Maarten, Richard, Dimitri:

Thanks a lot,
effect coding was exactly what I was looking for.
Spared me days of frustation...

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Silke Humbert
Sent: Dienstag, 15. August 2006 22:14
Subject: st: contrast with probit

Dear Stata-community,

I would be happy if someone could help me with the following

I am using probit with linearly dependent explanatory variables
(i. e. age categories 0-30, 30-50, >50, coded 0,1). If am doing
the regression with all these explanatory variables Stata
naturally drops one if these variables.

The problem now is that I don't want the coefficients of the
regression relative to the variable dropped but rather to the total
And in this way, I would like to have coefficients to all of my
variables (they should sum up to zero then, I think), even though
they are linearly dependent.

Is there a way to set contrasts with probit or any transformation I
can use (if it is a transformation how do I transform a missing
coefficient (dropped category)?)

I am using Stata 8.

Thanks a lot for any comments!