Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st:Transformation for skewed variables with negative values?

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st:Transformation for skewed variables with negative values?
Date   Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:38:17 -0400

If your variables are hopelessly non-normal, you should consider converting
them to categorical or dichotomous variables.

Otherwise, you can transform your variables by changing the sign to reverse
the direction of skewness and substracting (mininum-1) to make them
strictly positive. Thus, if Y has negative skewness, -Y has positive skewness;
and if X takes negative values, X-(min(X)-1) will be strictly positive.

Jeph wrote:
I need following help. I have panel dataset for estimating a simple linear
The problem is that my all variables have sknewness and big variation(large
In particualr, the dependent variable and one of independant variables have a
negative sknewness, while all other independant variables are shown by positive
sknewness. My first intension is using a log transformation of all variables but
seems not to be a good idea since all variables have negative values (around
Besides, all variables except one of independant variables are ratio, thus that
idea would make worse.

I would be so glad if anyone has suggestions to solve this problem