Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: tabulate with gen

From   Philipp Rehm <>
Subject   Re: st: tabulate with gen
Date   Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:39:18 +0200

This link may be helpful:

But I think there is an even shorter way than they describe:

xi, prefix() noomit

For some reasons, Stata is over-writing these dummies when you do this for another variable, say:

xi, prefix() noomit

A work-around may be something like this:
xi, prefix(FOO) noomit
renpfix FOO
xi, prefix(BAR) noomit
renpfix BAR

Hebe B. Quinton wrote:

Hello -

I use

tab foo, gen(foo_)

all the time to create dummy variables based on the values of foo - I get
foo_1, foo_2, etc.

Does any one have a technique (I won't call it a trick) for having the
extension be the actual value of foo? For example, I have health care center
numbers that are NOT continuously numbered from 1 to 100, so the dummy and the
root value quickly get out of synch:

tab center, gen(center_)

creates center_3 that corresponds to center==5, center_4 corresponds to
center==6, etc

Seems like a recipe for disaster when generating reports....!

I can generate a do file to rename them, but I though someone else might have
solved this problem.

Thank you,

Hebe Quinton Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Clinical Research/Department of Medicine
506 Rubin
One Medical Center Drive
Lebanon, NH 03756

(603) 653-3536
Fax (603) 653-3554

Pedestrians on the Sidewalk of Average Intelligence, hie thee to the nearest
underpass. Itis raining baloney.
* For searches and help try: