Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: testing for overdispersion in panel count data models

From   "Scott Imberman" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: testing for overdispersion in panel count data models
Date   Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:42:08 -0400

Dear All,
I am trying to run a count data model on individual level panel data.
I was wondering if there is any way to test whether i have
overdispersion, in which case i would use xtnbreg, fe whereas otherwise
i would use xtpoisson, fe.  I know that there is not one built into
stata, thus i was wondering if there is a user-written program that does
it or if there is some manual way to do it (i.e. through an lr test of
the poisson vs. nbreg models?)
Also, I know that this has been addressed in the archives, but not
recently.  Thus, I was wonderng if anyone is aware of any user-written
programs that add a robust standard error ability to xtpoisson and
xtnbreg?  Thanks.
Scott Andrew Imberman
Ph.D. Candidate in Economics
University of Maryland