st: RE: Power Point Presentation with Stata

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Power Point Presentation with Stata
Date   Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:48:35 +0100

The answer is No in my case. I imagine that what you
want is a simple .gif with "Stata" in the Stata font.

b. water raised the legal issue. My understanding is
that a registered trademark should strictly be acknowledged
as such. Nevertheless I imagine that StataCorp would be
pleased at whatever publicity you want to give their
product in your community, and displeased only if you
are pirating their product or implying that you represent them
or that they are responsible for what you say.
Presumably there is no question of any of these.

People interested in this issue may be interested
in the following detail. During the recent Boston
users' meeting I kept a rough tally of how presentations
had been produced. A clear majority had used some kind
of LaTeX package and were showing it using Adobe Acrobat.
A smaller group were using PowerPoint. One awkward
character was using Stata only, SMCL files for text
and .gph files for graphs. This seems about par for
the course for recent users' meetings. Until quite
recently some presenters were using acetate foils
for overhead projectors, the last known such cases
being William Gould and myself.

Raphael Fraser