Re: st: responses to new users

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: responses to new users
Date   Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

The issue of how to respond to people who send questions that by someone's
criterion do not belong on statalist is up again.  I wait with great
anticipation, and hope, that this issue will be resolved respectfully this
time.

I say that because many people seem to have things they don't want to see
on the list.  I get frustrated when people ask questions about word
processing packages; I would think that should be sent to lists for those
packages.  But when I raised that issue, out of the legitimate concern
that such questions could take over the list and drive away the people who
answer the large majority of questions, I was berated for doing so.  Some
people seemed to think I had been particularly harsh when, I think, I was
trying to be clear, direct, and good-natured, too.  No one ever sent me a
note privately about their discomfort with my view or approach; had they
done so it would have allowed a reasonable, respectful resolution.
Instead, I was privately threatened with being thrown off statalist, by
the people who had the power to do so.

Now, the issue of how to respond to people who send questions that by
someone's criterion do not belong on the list is up again, in another
form.  I wait with great anticipation, and hope, that this issue will be
resolved respectfully, publicly, and in the spirit of preserving "the
commons" this time.

Sincerely and respectfully yours,
Sam