RE: st: responses to new users

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: responses to new users
Date   Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:24:29 +0100

I agree with the spirit of this, but I don't think the suggestions
herein really take us much further forward.

Thus I guess no one votes for displays of arrogance or condescension, but
who is to say which posts qualify? I can think of several long-standing members
of the list who often answer lazy or dopey questions with rather brief and firm
advice. (And I dare say that many of my own postings fall under those headings.)
The list belongs to these people too just as much as anyone else,
and they have a right to their own styles. Also, their concern is with the well-being
of the list, and that a common resource is not polluted by thoughtless users.

However, one answer is that if you think a post qualifies as arrogant or
condescending you should take that up with the poster off-line, or with Marcello
Pagano as coordinator.

Similarly, it is quite correct to say that you can ignore posts which
you think are wasting the time of the list. But to repeat a point often made,
including in this thread: most people do respond to reasonable criticism that
includes constructive advice. Many Statalist members have morphed
from clueless newbies to good citizens and even to pillars of the community.
If everybody ignored every poor question, this would be
less likely to happen.

Steffen Hokland