Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Recoding missing variables

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Recoding missing variables
Date   Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:00:08 -0500

At 09:47 PM 7/15/2006, Ashwin Ananthakrishnan wrote:

I have a dataset where currently missing values are
labelled 99 for all variables (which usually have
values between 1-15). Is there anyway I can get stata
to recognize the value 99 as missing variables so that
they are not included in tables or in regression?

See -help missing- and -help mvdecode-. Basically, you'll want to recode the missings to one of Stata's mv codes, which are ., .a, .b, ..., .z.

Commands like -findit missing values- will help you to hunt this sort of stuff down.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu