Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: random effects and stepwise

From   Jeph Herrin <>
Subject   Re: st: random effects and stepwise
Date   Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:59:19 -0400

Stepwise regression is generally a bad idea:

That said, it can be a useful tool on occasion, if only to satisfy
public demand - which is why I wrote some programs which perform a limited
(ie, backwards only, LR criteria only) stepwise regression for xtmixed
& xtlogit. I'd be happy to share them, though not to document them.