st: RE: Out-of-date commands

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Out-of-date commands
Date   Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:48:02 +0100

You have answered your own question. The only way
to see a manual entry for commands that are out-of-date
is to find a manual for a version in which that
command was current.

Sometimes, but not always, the on-line help remains
available far beyond a command's obsolescence.

-for- (meaning Stata's -for-, not Mata's -for-) is
an example in which documentation is indeed elusive.
One story behind this is that the implementation
of -for- is now widely regarded as a Bad Idea.
That still leaves needs like yours unsatisfied.

On the whole, however, there are very few
commands for which that is true.

McKenna, Timothy