Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: convert labels into values

From   Alexis Furuichi <furuichi@Princeton.EDU>
Subject   st: convert labels into values
Date   Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:27:48 -0400

Does anyone know how to turn labels into values?  I have a dataset with two variables that refer to countries that I want to match, but they are coded differently. So, the data set has two numeric variables:

id   country    nation
1    20           15
2    23           11
3    14           20

where the labels are defined differently for the values in "country" and "nation" -

id   country     nation
1   Israel         Iran
2   Iran           Israel
3   Turkey       Turkey

if the labels can be fixed into the variables I can compare them, but as they are, I can not, because the same countries have different values.  The codes do not seem to be in any particular order either.  Any ideas?  Thank you.