st: RE: weights in tabulate, summarize

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: weights in tabulate, summarize
Date   Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:44:32 +0100

Your bottom line is the important one here:

"i can't use svy commands because i am not
provided with psu and strata information".

If I understand this properly, you need
information on how your survey was set up
but do not have it. In this situation
pretending that your weights are really
aweights or iweights just to get a result
has absolutely no justification. In fact
it is very bad practice. You should
tell your "boss" this immediately and
ask him or her why they are expecting
you to do the impossible.

Compatibility with SAS or not is secondary
here. The fact that you get the same
answer to some wrong questions in both
packages is not very helpful scientifically.
Similarly, the (apparent) fact that you
can get an answer to another wrong question
in one package but not in another is not
very surprising. It is very difficult to
write software that will stop users getting
results when they are asking the wrong question.

Lan Jiang