st: updating Stata

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: updating Stata
Date   Tue, 4 Jul 2006 07:35:31 -0400

Seb said

can you access the internet from your computer? If so, what do you
have to do to access an internet site like www.stata.com? In some
networks internet access is restricted. In order to reach the internet
a "proxy" or sth similar requires you to enter some authorisation
information, is that the case with your network?

Best regards,
seb

On 7/4/06, Sara Mottram <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am fairly new to Stata, having started with Stata 9.0. Am I right in
> thinking that the upgrade to Stata 9.2 is free and if so, how do I go
> about updating my Stata so that I can stay as up-to-date as possible?
> Also, I have trouble updating. When I type -update all- into the command
> line, some of the files are downloaded but then I get a message to say
> that the connection has timed out. I am connected to our University network.
> connection timed out -- see help r(2) for troubleshooting
> r(2);
> Can anyone help me with either of these queries please?
> Thanks

I know what Seb means regarding proxy settings -- I have had to deal with those at UK universities to get Stata's web access to work. But if Sara can download "some files" before it times out, she has those settings correct. What she needs to do is go to the Stata web site with a browser and download the update files with the browser. She can go to

http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata9.html

to deal with this. Although this page says 'you should use update query if you're directly connected to the Internet', the Stata FAQ that describes problems with connections (such as r(2)) also leads you here.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

*
* For searches and help try: