Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Intro social science stats book

From   Friedrich Huebler <>
Subject   Re: st: Intro social science stats book
Date   Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:20:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Suzy <> wrote:
> 2. "Most" established professors that I know use SAS or SPSS, so
> they can't help with Stata questions at all. I've found that the
> "younger" professors actually tend to use R.

I would argue that your sample is too small to make general
statements about the use of Stata.

> 3.  I know I'll probably get slammed from other users on this
> sight, but I still think the graphics are way too complex
> (inflexible) and/or boring,  and I do have the graphics manual for
> Stata v. 9. The Stata graphics are just not fun IMHO. I've found
> the best graphs have come from  the  user generated programs, and
> not the main Stata program.

Go the Stata bookstore ( and buy this
book: Michael Mitchell. 2004. A Visual Guide to Stata Graphics.
College Station: Stata Press.

> 4. The price point is OK, but it could be much, much better for
> students. Updating to version 9. and buying the manuals broke the
> bank.

If your university has a GradPlan you can buy Stata at a lower price
( Even the "Visual
Guide to Stata Graphics" is offered at a discount through a GradPlan.

Friedrich Huebler

Do You Yahoo!?