Re: st: superposed rolled windows

From   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: superposed rolled windows
Date   Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:01:34 -0400

On Jun 27, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Jeph Herrin wrote:

Never mind, I figured out "F".  Funny that it isn't even
mentioned on the time series functions page.
That may be because it technically is not a function: it's an operator. See -help tsvarlist-.

I would agree that this information is not the easiest thing to find if you aren't certain what you are looking for: -hsearch time series operators- (in Stata 9.2 or later) returns -tsvarlist- as the second link, while -hsearch time series functions- doesn't give -tsvarlist- until the 78th entry on my machine -- long after most people would give up searching, I suspect.

I have observed over time (small pun intended) that many people think of L., F., D., and S. as functions instead of operators, and thus have trouble tracking down the information they need. Note that in -help time- it does say, "See -varlist- for a table of time-series operators," but that sentence apparently is easy to miss. Perhaps an explicit mention of -tsvarlist- under "Data management tools and time- series operators" on the -help time- page would, well, help. A link to -tsvarlist- in the Description paragraph of -help time_series_operators- similarly might mitigate some of this confusion. HTH.

-- Mike

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/