st: RE: Scalars versus temporary variables in MLE

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Scalars versus temporary variables in MLE
Date   Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:48:41 +0100

Thanks for the very detailed report, which moves us
forward a lot.

Here's my diagnosis.

In this example ln eta stands not for a single parameter,
but for a vector. Therefore it cannot fit into a scalar.
A scalar can _only_ hold a single value.

The advice to use scalars, not temporary variables,
is only good if what is being handled is single-valued.
The point is that holding the same value again and
again in every observation is wasteful of storage
(and poor style). It is very bad advice otherwise.
Presumably what would happen if you map a variable
onto a scalar is that only the first observation
would be used.

My key first statement in this thread was

"A side-issue with your program is that you appear to
be putting lots of constants into variables. Using
scalars is much better style and less wasteful
of storage."

If I misread your problem and you were _not_ doing that,
then the advice does not apply to your program.

A relatively trivial point in your second program
is that you wrap -scalar()- around every scalar
except -m- on one line. With this dataset no
difficulty arises, but that is a source of bugs.

Kit himself has recently been caught by a bug
of the same kind.

DEEPANKAR BASU