Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: CLAD error message and coefficient interpretation

From   "Scott Merryman" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: CLAD error message and coefficient interpretation
Date   Thu, 1 Jun 2006 16:55:05 -0500

-clad- is written by Dean Jolliffe, Bohdan Krushelnytskyy, and Anastassia
Semykina (see for his
"Censored Least Absolute Deviations Estimator: CLAD." Stata Technical

Yes, the problem is that -clad- is not handling collinear variables very
gracefully.  The collinear variables are dropped when -qreg- is used but
then the original varlist is passed to -postfile- which complains that not
all the variables are present.  -set trace on- will show you what is
happening as -clad- runs.  You could use -_rmcoll- to remove the collinear
variables before call -clad-.

An alternative program (rough draft), -cqreg2- is presented below; it makes
use of Joao Pedro Azevedo's very useful -grqreg-.

Two good introductions to quantile regression are

Koenker, R. and K. Hallock, (2001) "Quantile Regression", Journal of
Economic Perspectives, 15, 143-156.

Cade, B. and B. Noon, (2003) "A Gentle Introduction to Quantile Regression
for Ecologists". Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 1, 412-420.

Both of these papers are available Roger Koenker's site

*!1.0.0 June 1, 2006 Scott Merryman
program cqreg2
version 9.2
	syntax varlist(min=1) [if] [, Quantile(real 0.5)  ll(real 0) bs
reps(integer  100) save(string) grqreg]

tempvar yhat
tokenize `varlist'
local lhs "`1'"
mac shift
local rhs "`*'"
qui {
qreg `lhs' `rhs' `if', q(`quantile')

predict `yhat'
sum `hat'
tempvar tag
while  r(min) < `ll' {
	keep if  `yhat' >= `ll'
	qui qreg `lhs' `rhs' `if', quantile(`quantile' )
	qui drop `yhat'
	predict `yhat' if e(sample)
	qui sum `yhat' if e(sample)
if "`bs'" == "bs" {
	bsqreg `lhs' `rhs' `if', quantile(`quantile' ) reps(`reps')
else {
if "`grqreg'" != "" {
	grqreg, ci
if "`save'" != "" {