Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Adding variables with common prefix

From   n j cox <>
Subject   Re: st: Adding variables with common prefix
Date   Tue, 30 May 2006 13:26:51 +0100

Look again at the help for -foreach-.

foreach v of var var* {

That is, you must specify that var* is a varlist.

I would also use a scalar here.

scalar mysum = 0
foreach v of var var* {
scalar mysum = mysum + `v'[1]

R.E. De Hoyos

I have a large list of variables with a common prefix, say -var- (var1, var2, var3...). I want to generate a scalar with the sum of these variable's first observation. I tried the following loop, but for some reason that I can't see it is not working, it returns an invalid syntax error message:

local sum = 0
foreach v of var* {
local sum = `sum' + `v'[1]
scalar answer = `sum'

What is wrong with this code? Is there an alternative way of adding up variables with a common prefix?
* For searches and help try: