Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: RE: excluding variables from varlist

From   "David Elliott" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: excluding variables from varlist
Date   Fri, 26 May 2006 10:35:55 -0300

If there was a large number of variables one could also use an: if
inlist("`var'","a","b"...up to 10 varnames) and this could be repeated
with an or.

I am assuming one would use this to cycle through all categorical
variables excluding the measure variables or vice versa.

On 5/24/06, Alex Ogan <> wrote:
There's likely a better way, but I often do this:

foreach each var of varlist _all {
        if "`var'" == "a" continue
        if "`var'" == "b" continue

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Thomas
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:59 PM
Subject: st: excluding variables from varlist

using the foreach command I would like to exclude certain variables,
"foreach var of varlist _all [/excluding a, b, c/]".

Is that possible and if so how?

Thomas Triebs
Research Assistant
Electricity Policy Research Group
Faculty of Economics
University of Cambridge
Sidgwick Avenue, Austin Robinson Bldg.
Cambridge CB3 9DE
United Kingdom
Phone: +44-1223-335287
Fax: +44-1223-335299

*   For searches and help try:

This message is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.

Arrowstreet Capital, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

*   For searches and help try:

David Elliott