Re: st: collecting raw data from the web via browser automation

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: collecting raw data from the web via browser automation
Date   Tue, 23 May 2006 08:39:03 -0500

On May 22, 2006, at 10:54 PM, Michael Blasnik wrote:
I'm not sure if any of these tools can actually solve the problem originally posted.

Yes, they can. Both curl and wget support authentication, cookies, SSL, and the use of HTTP POST (in addition to GET) to submit a request. And with either Python or Perl, you can script an entire web session, including passing through multiple forms, with each subsequent request dependent on the result(s) returned from the last.

As a later post indicated, you can use Stata's -copy- to retrieve a page using GET (i.e., parameters encoded in the actual URL), and in this way initiate a search with Google Scholar. However, the URL in the original posting resulted from clicking on the "Import into..." link corresponding to a single item from the list of items returned by a search. I'm not sure how this selection would be made programmatically, or, if the intention was to grab the information on all of the top n items (note that depending upon how large n is, this might be spread across multiple results pages, due to the way results are batched). Moreover, the format of the data returned by the original URL depends upon how your "Scholar Preferences" are set (i.e., which bibliographic format), and these preferences are probably stored in a cookie. Finally, regardless of the export format chosen, you may still need to do some post-processing before reading the "data" into Stata. Thus, even though the initial search can be triggered with -copy-, one of the other suggested tools may well be necessary to complete the entire task (or at least to do so in an efficient way).