From   "Alex Ogan" <aogan@ArrowstreetCapital.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: Efficiency of the colon operator in Mata
Date   Mon, 22 May 2006 16:22:54 -0400

Me too -- using an AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 at 2.60GHz:

. mata: x = uniform(10000,1)
r; t=0.00 16:21:51

. mata: for (i=1;i<=10000;i++) y = x*1
r; t=1.47 16:21:53

. mata: for (i=1;i<=10000;i++) y = x:*1
r; t=3.33 16:21:57

Alex Ogan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Michael
Blasnik
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 4:16 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: Efficiency of the colon operator in Mata

I find the same pattern in my AMD xp2700 chip -- admittedly fairly old,
but
certainly not by Intel.  The colon operator takes twice as long as the
scalar.

Michael Blasnik

This message is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.

Arrowstreet Capital, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.