From   "Alex Ogan" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: cut string variables
Date   Mon, 22 May 2006 09:44:34 -0400

replace varname = substr(varname,1,50)
compress varname

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of susanne
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 9:42 AM
Subject: st: cut string variables

I cannot open a data set in my intercooled Stata version because one of
variables is a string with 102 characters and intercooled Stata only
for 80.
I can open the data set at a friend's computer who has the full version
stata. But we have not found out, what the command is to cut the length
this particular string. so that we can change the data set and I can
with it on my computer.
It would be o.k., if only the first 50 characters or so remain.

Can you help?
Thank you very much.
Greetings from Switzerland,

*   For searches and help try:

This message is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.

Arrowstreet Capital, L.P. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.